Obtaining urgent medication outside surgery hours

If you urgently require repeat medication when the surgery is closed, please call 111 for advice. Alternatively, you may be able to request this medicine from a pharmacist (chemist) in an emergency, subject to certain conditions.

You must have previously been prescribed the medicine by a doctor, dentist or other healthcare professional registered in the UK.

The pharmacist:

  • Will usually need to see you face-to-face (please take your repeat prescription form with you if you have one, or the medication container displaying your details and the pharmacy label)
  • Must agree that you need the medication immediately
  • Must be satisfied with the dose you have been prescribed previously

The pharmacist may provide an emergency supply of treatment for most repeat prescription medicines at their discretion, with these exceptions:

  • No controlled medicines (Controlled Drugs) will be permitted as an emergency supply.
  • Insulin, ointments or creams (will be issued in the smallest pack size).
  • The contraceptive pill: a full month’s treatment cycle.
  • Liquid oral antibiotics: the smallest quantity to provide a full course of treatment.

The pharmacist will then make a note in their prescription book of:

  • your name and address
  • the nature of the emergency
  • the date of the emergency supply
  • the name, quantity and strength of the medicine

Please note

Supplying medicine in an emergency is a private service not funded by the NHS, so pharmacists can charge for it. The charge will vary, depending on the medicine and the pharmacist’s policy.

If the pharmacist is unable to give you an emergency supply of a medicine, they can advise you on how to obtain any essential medical care you may need.

If you have had unprotected sex or you think your method of contraception may have been ineffective and you would like emergency contraception, please contact the surgery as soon as possible on 01673 843556 and ask for an urgent appointment with a doctor or the nurse specialist.

They will assess your risk of pregnancy and advise you of your options.