All patients have the right to choose which pharmacy dispenses their medication. Patients who live more than 1 mile or 1.6km from the local pharmacy are entitled to be registered as Dispensing Patients.
Benefits of this service include:
- Prompt transfer service of prescriptions from GP to dispensary.
- Prompt communications between the dispensary and GP regarding medication changes.
- Automatic renewal of regular prescriptions via the managed prescription service.
- Continuity of management of medication.
- Proactive response to concerns raised regarding side effects, concordance and self-administration of medication.
Patients who do not qualify under the mileage rule may apply to NHS England under the serious difficulty rule. Patients with serious difficulty in using the local pharmacy because of distance or inadequate means of communication may apply to remain on their doctor’s dispensing list but there are very strict conditions to be met in this regard. If you believe that the serious difficulty rule might apply to you please discuss your situation with the local pharmacy in the first instance as they may be able to help.
Please ask the surgery dispensary for an Application for Dispensing Status under the serious difficulty rule-NHS England form.